Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Vijay Dinanath Chauhan...........Poora Naam




I think this dialogue is heard by every movie buff of India, or at least the million devotees of Mr. Amitabh Bachchan. I am moving here to a little pro-Angry Young Man (as I always) by saying devotees instead of “followers” or “fans”, simply because every time a character is played by him on the screen, it suddenly becomes a legend. The first visual I had in my mind since my mind became conscious is that of Mr. Amitabh Bachchan and it is quite obvious that I love him more than I love myself. The dark portrayals played by him are simply spell bounding performances but for me the most memorable one is this one from Yash Johar’s classic “Agneepath”.   

The very first scene of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan as an adult, sitting on a chair, one hand behind the chair, an eye to eye contact with police commissioner, I think it says all. That very first scene tells how strongly a character like this can be portrayed in an introductory scene. I have never seen more powerful introductory scene in Bollywood than this one. Many people remember the movie through this scene only. That is the power of this scene.

It’s a popular saying that “the more powerful is villain, the bigger the film”. “Kaancha Cheenha” is one such character that needs that high attitude and flawless personality that doesn’t seem like fiery but depicts strength. Danny Denzongpa comlpletely justified his selection in the role and is still remembered for the portrayal. Similarly, the supporting role of Mithun Chakraborty provides a firm stand to the character of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan.

There are a numerous favorite scenes from the film but just two apart from the introductory one that are worth talking about. The first one is the initial confrontation between Vijay and Kancha during an attempt for the assassination of Vijay. Those few minutes setup the whole theme of the movie from where unfolds a tale of revenge. The second one is restaurant scene where Vijay feels humiliated.

This post is never ending for me as it is a film close to heart. The film directed by Late Mukul S. Anand not only come as a reward to him but also garnered various awards including a National Award for Mr. Amitabh Bachchan.

1 comment: